Council leadership for public health
Bringing local government and public health together is a real opportunity to shape population health at a local level. Both need to work together to develop a local public health system based on mutual understanding, trust and confidence.
Establishing cohesive management and governance arrangements, and building public health capacity within the council will be critical. The Health and Wellbeing Board needs to shape commissioning strategies and agree accountabilities in order to align resources to meet local needs.
How can we help?
- Bringing an understanding of how public health and local government work together to enable elected members, the DPH, senior officers and other partners to build a shared culture, relationships and understanding.
- Building a stronger and robust model by helping identify professional and cultural approaches that are strengths, can be built on, and draw out inhibitors to progress.
- Promoting strategic and practical collaboration between your Council and Clinical Commissioning Groups, Public Health England, HealthWatch, voluntary sector and citizens through effective commissioning.
- Harnessing responsibilities and contributions to develop effective partnerships and accountabilities, maximise public health capacity, and ensure effective commissioning outcomes.
- A single vision, shared strategy and effective commissioning - jointly developed, jointly owned.