Health Intelligence and Needs Assessment
Public services are under increasing pressure to deliver better outcomes, more effective partnership working, more responsive services and better value for money. This makes it more important than ever for decision-makers to have a good working knowledge of essential data and information about the area they serve. Capturing, interpreting and communicating up-to-date health intelligence about their local population can help them make the right decisions at the right time. It can also help them do this in the most cost-effective way. This approach supports the government’s key public health commitment to help commissioners to identify and address health inequalities.
How SPH can help
We provide high quality health intelligence to help you better understand the needs of your local population, both now and in the future, before making key decisions to improve people’s health and reduce health inequalities. We look at the local situation compared to the national and regional picture to support you to identify your priorities and understand where and how to target resources most effectively. We are able to access multiple data sources and interpret and analyse complex and sophisticated datasets.
Our understanding of local health needs and our experience of working with commissioners will help you:
- Get a clear picture of what services are currently available by conducting a service review
- Find out the most appropriate and cost-effective solutions through systematic reviews of the evidence base
- Make decisions about targeting resources to those areas where health need is greatest
- Gain greater insight into the needs of your population, including what patients and clinicians want, by using survey techniques
- Produce your joint strategic needs assessment (JSNA)
- Produce local health needs assessments
- Benchmark performance and measure progress towards outcomes
- Develop an action plan for implementation.