Our approach to evaluation is pragmatic, working with clients to develop a tailored strategy that assesses the extent to which a programme has achieved its desired outcomes and impacts, as well as noting unanticipated outcomes. Our evaluations enable meaningful learning from the process of introducing new services, models of care or quality improvements and inform service improvement and commissioning decisions. We regularly carry out both process and outcome evaluations.
What we do
Our evaluations are delivered using a variety of qualitative and quantitative techniques including:
- Collating and analysing activity and epidemiological data
- Interviewing stakeholders
- Running engagement events such as focus groups and workshops
- Developing, implementing and analysing online surveys
- Suggest recommendations to inform future service delivery
- Produce outputs including reports, presentations, web content and journal articles to disseminate findings
Using a combination of methods allows us to triangulate information from different sources to fully inform conclusions and recommendations.
Most evaluations will include several broad objectives:
- Describing the nature of the programme
- Reviewing the activity of the programme
- Understanding how closely the processes used to deliver the project or programme matched those originally planned and identifying learning from this
- Understanding the project or programme outcomes
- Assessing satisfaction with the programme from the perspective of key stakeholders
- Identifying strengths and areas for improvement
- Producing materials to help share learning
Each evaluation will be underpinned by a bespoke framework, supported by a theory of change and/or logic model where appropriate. This allows us to plan from the outset the identification of stakeholders, data collection requirements and qualitative information collection requirements, and consider information governance issues. A quality assurance framework will be developed alongside this to ensure that we quality assure all our work throughout the lifetime of the evaluation. We will work closely with you to ensure we deliver to your requirements
Why choose SPH?
We have extensive experience over many years in working with health and care commissioners to evaluate projects and programmes. Some recent examples of our work are given below. Please get in touch via our contact page.