It is important for decision makers to have the best evidence available when planning the commissioning of future healthcare services and the treatments offered to people. There are a number of ways of compiling the evidence and SPH has developed a robust, defensible methodology for providing rapid evidence reviews for local and national clients.
We follow a clear protocol – either one we have developed in- house, or provided by the client;
The protocol may include the following steps depending on the client specification:
- Developing ethical frameworks for decision-making which will withstand judicial review
- Framing and scoping an appropriate question to be addressed with the client to provide precise and robust answers to commissioning or providing issues
- Defining the population, intervention, comparator and outcome (PICO) to structure the evidence review
- Setting up the search strategy and initiating the search assessing evidence identified by the search to establish its relevance to the review
- Synthesising and critically appraising the evidence for specific interventions as well as whole care pathways
- Summarising the strength of the evidence available, appraising the methodology, level of evidence, statistical and clinical significance and limitations of the evidence
- A structured internal quality assurance process for each review
- Consultation process with external stakeholders
- Presentation of finalised evidence review to clients
- Defending reviews against potential challenge where necessary and appropriate
- Development of policy emerging from the evidence reviewTraining sessions in evidence-based decision making for stakeholders
Why choose SPH?
We are a long standing provider of rapid evidence reviews for local and national clients. Over the past 15 years we have undertaken over 400 rapid evidence reviews and have successfully defended decisions based on our evidence at judicial review. We have a strong team of experienced reviewers within SPH and can call on further expert capacity from our extensive pool of associates. Please get in touch via our contact page.